Since the #BeeLine200 ride, I’ve been working on my bike and fixing the issues that took place during the ride. I’ve managed to repair my rear cassette which had debris in it which was causing the drag while I was riding; I was wondering why my bike felt so heavy. Being that I’ve had to learn how to repair or change a rear cassette on a road bike we decided it was best to order the tools from Amazon so that we can deal with things like this in the future too. Over the last year of riding a bike, I’ve learned a lot about bike repair and tweaks. When Bikes and Life was open in Scottsdale I would from time to time go into the shop and build bikes to help the shop as well as to gather the proper knowledge. During that time I had built more than 40 bikes and have learned all kinds of tricks to adjust them out for better riding.
Since the bike shop had closed and a bit before I had started repairing my bike on my own with advice from Dave which is now the manager of Bike Barn of Phoenix; an awesome bike shop. During the #BeeLine200 I endure many issues with my bike breaking down in which I had to tweak and fix on the fly with minimal tools, thankfully I managed to get the bike to Tonto Basin and finally I had gotten back home safe. My bike had 4 flat tires back to back within minutes of each other, that’s how much debris was on the road in that area of HWY188. When I finally ran out of tubes to change tires it was time to head back home and a few days later the tires that were on my bike were flat as well. The flat tire issue had continued so it was time to tear down the bike and see what was going on.
I set up my gym to work on my bike, upon breaking down the bike and pulling the tires completely off of the rim I found some interesting issues. My tires “both of them” had metals shards throughout them which were slightly poking in enough to penetrate the tires without visible or physically feeling them in the tires. It took using a magnifying glass to check this out since I noticed a glare inside the tires when I started washing them. Each spot that I noticed, when I applied any pressure they would poke through; found the culprit! I began using my small pliers and cutters to pull each piece of metal out, these pieces were sized anywhere from 1/8 of an inch to half an inch; they were weaved in all kinds of directions. Once I went through each removal I began to use my Dremel to sort of give a small sanding to reassure that nothing was left. Once I was done pulling more than 30 shards from my tires I pulled out every tube from the ride which totaled was 9 damaged tubes. One by one I put a little air in them and began marking them with a silver Sharpie so that I knew how bad things were on each. I cleaned the tubes thoroughly and began patching each one. After 48 hours of allowing the adhesive to dry, I had a total of 9 repaired tubes which all took on 110 psi without any issue.
When the tubes were repaired and the tires were fixed I began working on the cassette which leads to metal wire within my gears, I then began to unravel it all and started the cleanup stages. After several hours of work and 48 hours of dry time, my bike has been officially patched up and it is ready to ride; now I just need my lower back and leg muscles to heal up from pedaling the bike with the feeling of pulling a truck behind me for over 6k feet of elevation.
The upside of things, my bike is fixed and I have lots of usable tubes; I sure can’t wait to ride again this weekend. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day.